Animal control


The City of Edgerton employs an Animal Control Officer to work with our community to make it a safe environment for people and pets.

If you have a concern about a loose animal, call 913-893-6231 during regular business hours. When our animal control officer is off-duty, Johnson County Sheriff's Office provides animal control dispatching services for our community.

Residential Animal Regulations

The City of Edgerton requires all dogs and cats over six months of age to be licensed annually.

Neutered/spayed dog or cat: $5 Unneutered/non-spayed dog or cat: $25

Seniors (age 60 and over) with neutered/spayed dog or cat: no charge

Licenses tags are available at City Hall and are good from January 1 to December 31st each year. All animals must be properly registered by March 31. Proof of a rabies vaccination, dated within six months, is required for purchase of a license tag.

Any registration not completed by March 31 will be subject to a $25 late fee.

By licensing your pet, the City has a better chance of returning your pet should it be picked up by City staff.

Download a Pet License Application here.  Email completed forms to our animal control officer, drop it off or mail it back to City Hall.

See more about our animal regulations.

Large Animal Regulations

Edgerton does allow property owners to keep horses, swine, cattle, sheep, goats and chickens with an annual permit. Permits are valid for one year.

A property owner may keep up to one animal per acre or five fowl per acre.  Keeping of these animals may not create a nuisance or be detrimental to the public welfare or to the rights or property of any neighbors within 200 feet of the property line where the animals will be kept.

Chickens must be licensed annually at a cost of $50.

Download a Large Animal Permit here.

Animal Bites

All bites must be reported to Animal Control or the Sheriff's Department immediately. Any owner of an animal that has bit must also surrender their pet for a quarantine period and show proof of current rabies vaccination.

Leash Law

All animals must be secured by leash or lead unless the animal is under control by an adult on the owner's property. Edgerton does have an off-leash dog park in Martin Creek Park.

Other Animals Prohibited

The City prohibits any warm-blooded, carnivorous or omnivorous, wild or exotic animal, including, but not limited to, non-human primates, raccoons, skunks, foxes, wild and exotic cats, and any animal with a venomous bite.

  If you have any questions please contact city staff at 913-893-6231.