Storm Clean-up: Disposing of Limbs and Brush

Kara Banks City News

Storms on May 15 damaged trees and property across the City of Edgerton. 

The City will offer extended hours for residents to dispose of tree limbs and brush at the City’s brush pile during the City-wide Clean-Up event on Saturday, May 21. The brush pile is located at the Public Works Department facility at 710 W. Nelson Street. Residents can dispose of any tree limbs and brush for free between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Residents can also make an appointment to drop off debris during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8am-4:30pm) by calling City Hall at 913.893.6231.

Gardner Disposal offers free yard waste disposal during normal trash pick-up on Wednesdays. The weekly limit is 8 items or bundles. Tree limbs (3″ max in diameter) must be cut down to 4 ft lengths and tied with string. Please do not place yard waste in carts, cans or other containers. Grass, plant clippings and leaves must be placed in biodegradable paper bags.


If your home was damaged by the storm, be cautious of unsolicited contactors coming to your door and offering to help with repairs or clean-up.  Scam artists often try to take advantage of homeowners coping with damage.  They often give verbal quotes or offer a “discount” because they’re working in the neighborhood, but when the final bill comes due, it is usually significantly higher than the quoted price.  

Residents are encouraged to contact their home insurance agent before signing any contracts to repair their homes.  Permits are required for any roof replacements or major electrical work.  Permits are available at City Hall (404 E. Nelson St). Contact the City’s building inspector for more details.

The State of Kansas requires roofing contractors to be licensed.  You can check the Attorney General’s website at to find out if your contractor has a license.  Edgerton also requires contractors to hold a City business license.  Those are available at City Hall during normal business hours. Any contractors going door-to-door are also required to have a solicitor’s permit.  You can verify both the business license and solicitor’s license by calling City Hall at 913.863.6231.

If you are a contractor, please click this link for more details about licenses, permits and fees.